HS2 Phase 2b: High Speed Rail (Crewe – Manchester) Bill 2022
On 24 January, the government introduced the High Speed Rail (Crewe – Manchester) Bill into Parliament to secure the powers to construct and maintain HS2 Phase 2b, between Crewe in Cheshire and Manchester. The Bill grants the powers to:
- build and maintain HS2 and its associated works
- compulsorily acquire interests in the land required
- affect or change rights of way, including the stopping-up or diversion of highways and waterways (permanently or temporarily)
- modify infrastructure belonging to statutory undertakers (e.g. utility companies)
- carry out work on listed buildings and demolish buildings in conservation areas
- carry out protective works to buildings and third-party infrastructure
- make necessary changes to existing legislation to facilitate construction and operation of HS2
It also grants the necessary changes to existing legislation to facilitate construction and operation of the HS2 Phase 2b (Crewe – Manchester) scheme.
For your information, all documents can be viewed online at www.gov.uk/hs2-phase2b-crewe-manchester.